25 December 2012

Merry 'More Christ' ; 'Christ Gold' and ' With Christ'

It's Christmas day. Supposedly the most beautiful time of the year. I question why it has been graced with that title. From my experience, the day blends in with the other 364 days of the year. Here in Africa that means, dry, hot and well, dreary...

Perhaps the 'beauty' described is one of a more internal and personal experience. Essentially, Christmas is a religious celebration for many societies of the world. Hence, "Christ - mass" or "more Christ" to our Spanish and Filipino mates, or "Christ Gold" to our Malay friends, and "with Christ" to the Maltese natives.

Although my lifestyle is void of any such a concept of religion, I can understand the significance of it to those who place a special belief on some sort of higher power and entity. Perhaps far from similar, but the only synonymous example in my thoughts at this very moment, it may well be the same as our belief in time. Intangible and imperceptible, yet it is something we continue to believe in because in a sense, we feel it. We feel time whooping by us, much like I've experienced this year glide by while I took my afternoon nap.

So, what is this "Christmas" day to me? Over the years, during my more religious youth and upbringing, it was indefinitely the birth day of Christ. A day in which I was appreciative of his birth as it essentially led to my 'original sin' being absolved. It was a day of prayer and giving thanks with my family, and as a reward, I received presents and ate a warm meal. A meal that was more unique than any other meal I may have eaten throughout the year.

However, as I grew up and started to explore the religion I was initiated into (somewhat like a cult), I came to realize that more than any religious occurrence, this day was merely a day used by society to exploit human naivety. In as much as I'd like to blame society for commercializing the occasion, I must put some of the blame on us, as individuals. We should have been able to take a step back and recognize that we are being exploited, because, essentially, if we are celebrating the birth of 'Christ' on this day, why is it more important to some of us to receive gifts than say prayers? Or why do we believe in a Santa Claus? A big, old, white pedophile man, who much like Micheal Jackson (may his blessed soul rest in peace) have children sit on his lap and demand things.

I am certain many will read this post and be utterly disgusted at what I have to say, how I perceive this occasion and how I (obviously) misunderstand the symbolism of everything. However, I believe in simplicity and any possible reasons as to why 'Christ's birth' has become so commercial and complicated eludes me.

So, for the Christians of you who are about to eat pork belly with your pierced ears, surrounded by sodomites and homosexuals, I wish you a blessed Merry Christmas, because obviously, you are some legit Christians. Christ, on his birthday, is extremely pleased with you.. So, enjoy that pork belly.

Those of you who are simply keen to indulge in the feast ahead of you and appreciate the presents you receive on this one 'special' day, enjoy it. It's somewhat like a second birthday. :)

...Cheerie Christmas and a Ho Ho Ho.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-3.html Thanks again
    Lenetta

    ReplyDelete